September 22, 2018, 10:31:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
144037 Posts in 17367 Topics- by 29898 Members - Latest Member: guxaoi
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pesky In-Game Mail Spammers  (Read 470 times)
View Profile
« on: August 24, 2018, 02:51:30 am »

Recently I've been getting a lot of these in-game mails regarding gold sells and it's rather annoying. It's usually sent to me since I'm online when the spammer strikes (unless I've been put on some kind of spam list or something).

This is my take on what the "spammer(s)" is/are doing. (I swear it's not me! I'm a programmer so I try to use logic to solve problems!)
  1) Create new account, if needed cause previous account was caught/banned.
  2) Create new character, run to nearest mailbox.
  3) Trade some gold over from character with plenty of gold, in order to mass in-game mail.
  4) Use an add-on to mass mail the same message to all of those that are online (or match certain parameters or on a list).
  5) Trade remaining gold back to the sponsoring character.
  6) Log out, delete character, then wait a specific amount of time.
  7) Repeat.

Now, I haven't put much thought into the preventative measures. Since by the time we get to our mailbox to discover said spam mail, it usually is from "Unknown" right? Since the character was deleted.

Perhaps the best way to counter this spam, would to automatically delete any in-game mail (text only?) sent from a character that was previously deleted.

This shouldn't hinder anything regarding normal game play (referring to the fix that was done to prevent advertisers for another server, aka https://vanillagaming.org/forum/index.php?topic=18030.msg141888#msg141888). It would in fact disrupt those pesky little buggers from using the mailbox as a spamming tool. And of course if they don't delete their character, we can always report the name of the character with a picture for proof.

Any feedback, concerns, questions? Server staff feedback would be great. :)
Head Gamemaster
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 11:53:59 am »

Hello there,

The issue with mailbox spammer is back indeed. Adjusting character level requirement for mails (same as we have with whispers) sounds like a plan.

We will see what can be done about it. Thanks for the idea.

Regards

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 01:24:13 am »

But, now I'll have to level up my banker toons... xD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: