July 04, 2022, 04:56:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
149002 Posts in 18132 Topics- by 34430 Members - Latest Member: abosan
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Discord, VanillaGaming  (Read 5819 times)
View Profile
« on: April 26, 2018, 07:11:54 pm »

I have decided to create a Discord server for the players of VanillaGaming. To allow additional communication between players both On and Offline. This will at times allow players offline to receive notifications about what is happening on VG while they might not be online on any character. Maybe someone is hosting something you need/want or maybe you just want to use a more direct way of communicating a topic than the forums for that specific discussion. If VG staff wish to be involved in this and use it for their announcements or to communicate with members then they are most welcome to do so, just let me know and i will grant you the required privileges. As(If) the Discord server grows i will continue to expand and moderate it. I hope this is helpful for VG and it's players.

Regards Chess

PS, I heard some noobs prefer Discord for voice over Teamspeak.

https://discord.gg/2swsp9R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 07:29:01 pm »

i honestly think you are just looking for ways to make yourself relevant, and creating things no one asked for. why would staff post in this discord when they have a website they can post on? and as far as moderation, you will have 1 of 2 things happen, any one can post/talk and it is a shitshow, or you have so much moderation that no one will want to take the time to get the permissions to post. litearly every thing you used as a positive reason to use this discord, the website itself does it.
>allow additional communication between players both On and Offline.
i can message some one on the website
>receive notifications about what is happening on VG while they might not be online on any character.
once again i can read the website
>hosting something you need/want or maybe you just want to use a more direct way of communicating a topic than the forums for that specific discussion.
why divide the community even more then it already is, segregation is not good. just use the website, and world chat imo. the more "sub sections" you have the harder it is to get information to flow, doing exactly what you wanted to avoid if im reading this correctly. why have 2 places to get information, one of them being a non official channel, when you can have all information on a server funded website?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 07:34:05 pm by kawaiiloli » Logged

lemon squeezy.
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 07:54:54 pm »

Gogo Chess! Can not wait for Paradox revival! One more person hosting a guild on VG! You can feel it in the air!

Former member of Gnomeography, Unique, Goldshire Golfclub, Everest.

Member of the VG research group investigating how to make VG drama free. Update: recently had some major setbacks, but we plan to have our conclusions and proposal ready by Spring 2035.
Why do meteors always land in craters?
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 08:14:06 pm »

i honestly think you are just looking for ways to make yourself relevant
<Best in Slot>
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 09:12:17 pm »

i honestly think you are just looking for ways to make yourself relevant, and creating things no one asked for. why would staff post in this discord when they have a website they can post on? and as far as moderation, you will have 1 of 2 things happen, any one can post/talk and it is a shitshow, or you have so much moderation that no one will want to take the time to get the permissions to post. litearly every thing you used as a positive reason to use this discord, the website itself does it.
>receive notifications about what is happening on VG while they might not be online on any character.
>hosting something you need/want or maybe you just want to use a more direct way of communicating a topic than the forums for that specific discussion.
why divide the community even more then it already is, segregation is not good. just use the website, and world chat imo. the more "sub sections" you have the harder it is to get information to flow, doing exactly what you wanted to avoid if im reading this correctly. why have 2 places to get information, one of them being a non official channel, when you can have all information on a server funded website?

Yikes when did chess pee in your cheerios.

I think discord does a lot of things way better than this website. Also most forums (minus massive ones) have a discord as well now-a-days so why would it be irrelevant. Not to mention that this website goes down when the server goes down so it'd be nice to have a discord for communication when that happens.

Finally most people have discord logged in at all times/on their phone so they can reply to things when they are away from their computer. All in all discord provides many benefits however it really is something the server itself should make not one thats hosted by its players. However like most things on VG the players have to take things into their own hands.

Good on you chess.
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 09:17:16 pm »

Yikes when did chess pee in your cheerios.

I think discord does a lot of things way better than this website. Also most forums (minus massive ones) have a discord as well now-a-days so why would it be irrelevant. Not to mention that this website goes down when the server goes down so it'd be nice to have a discord for communication when that happens.

Finally most people have discord logged in at all times/on their phone so they can reply to things when they are away from their computer. All in all discord provides many benefits however it really is something the server itself should make not one thats hosted by its players. However like most things on VG the players have to take things into their own hands.

Good on you chess.
+ brawn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 10:54:55 pm »

vg has big problems and i dont think that discord chats will solve those
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 01:30:46 pm »

I think its a great idea! Why do all good ideas get talked down...? Who wants ist can use it, who don't, don't. Simple as that... I just joined.
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 01:35:29 pm »

The Discord seems to be off to a good start, 51 members this far and Skurri is the main admin. Conversations are staring to take place and hopefully more players will join in(don't be shy). Information is being easily distributed, this far mainly about guilds, pugs and AddOns. And there is no need to worry about being spammed as only the pug channels(Horde+Ally) and announcement channel have notifications on, and you can easily mute the individual channel that you do not wish to receive notifications from. Lastly i just want to point out that this is not an effort to take anything away from the forums, i rather view the Discord as an extension of the forums.

Regards Chess

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 11:18:27 am »

The server has now reached 120 members and hopefully it will continue to gain traction. The current main uses seem to remain the same with the voice channels gaining a minor population at times. I encourage more players to use the pug channels when they do 20mans+ since I've received good feedback about he pug announcements. I know the Horde side has a less active pug life than Alliance and i hope you will consider using the Discord server to announce your pugs, hopefully that can help you out in gaining some more traction to your pug life. Any feedback, negative or positive would be helpful in trying to optimize it to everyone's liking(No, deleting the server doesn't count).

Kind Regards, Chess

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 01:31:10 pm »

Like it vey much, announced it here too:

https://vanillagaming.org/forum/index.php?topic=22571.0

Maybe you want to add some of your regular pugs there too?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 01:34:24 pm by Albert2 » Logged
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 03:43:40 pm »

My Pugs are rarely planned, the only ones I am currently trying to do on rotation is MC Sundays 12:00st (first one was today) and Friday 18:00st AQ40, but that's unsure if i will continue it. The BWL pug seems to be falling on Wednesdays these days around 18:00st. But none of these are set in stone so it would be hard to provide accurate information for that topic.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 12:26:49 pm »

However like most things on VG the players have to take things into their own hands.

Lowkey  Roll Eyes

Great idea Chess, don't let h8rs get to you.
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 11:49:35 am »

My Pugs are rarely planned, the only ones I am currently trying to do on rotation is MC Sundays 12:00st (first one was today) and Friday 18:00st AQ40, but that's unsure if i will continue it. The BWL pug seems to be falling on Wednesdays these days around 18:00st. But none of these are set in stone so it would be hard to provide accurate information for that topic.

Ok, I just updated that thread. If I should modify anything just tell me or post it there.

I would be happy if other pug raidleaders would use that discord channel too!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: