December 11, 2018, 08:20:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
144674 Posts in 17462 Topics- by 30221 Members - Latest Member: R3giN47d47
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: New PC build for WoW 40 man boxing  (Read 4925 times)
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2018, 02:38:13 pm »

Fuck this forum, why does it tell me so often that some error happened and I can't post?
Edit: Ok, it can't handle euro signs -.-

AMD:
Threadripper 1950X - 32 Threads - 850eu (26.56 eu/T)
Threadripper 1920X - 24 Threads - 600eu (25 eu/T)
Threadripper 1900X - 16 Threads - 400eu (25 eu/T)
Ryzen 7 1700 - 16 Threads - 280eu (17.5 eu/T)
Ryzen 7 1600X - 12 Threads - 200eu (17 eu/T)

Intel
...ok, fuck Intel. At 800eu they only offer 20 Threads.
I doubt speeds differing by 400 Mhz will have a huge effect on performance aswell as bigger caches.

https://i.imgur.com/0k94nIv.jpg
^Hi Chess, legit THC earned with the EPGP loot distribution system. Not by half-assed DKP with lootcounciled KT loot ;-)

Rogue CL of <Chaos>
chaosvg.shivtr.com
Goldshire Cheese and Fetish Club
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2018, 03:07:17 pm »

^ Again, WoW does NOT support multithreading. So look at the physical core numbers only.

AMD for value, especially on low end.  Most Intel CPUs will comparatively blow AMD out of the water, especiall threadrippers,  but this is mostly down to single core, or at most 4 cores.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 03:12:42 pm by Cohle » Logged

Assistant Administrator
Hail Caesar
View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2018, 03:43:24 pm »

^ Again, WoW does NOT support multithreading. So look at the physical core numbers only.

AMD for value, especially on low end.  Most Intel CPUs will comparatively blow AMD out of the water, especiall threadrippers,  but this is mostly down to single core, or at most 4 cores.

What you write doesn't seem to make any sense. Windows shuffles wow clients to hyperthreaded cores as well, if you have enough open clients. Each client does not have support any multithreading itself, that is not mandatory.

Performance wise and technically a Ryzen 7 or a Threadripper is superior to Intels mainstream and enthusiast CPUs in the case we look at here because of core and thread count.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 03:46:40 pm by Ergamemnon » Logged

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2018, 04:21:42 pm »

http://fortune.com/2018/01/08/intel-processor-bug-meltdown-spectre-amd/
I lost about 20% performance of my Intel cpu, never going Intel again.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=3058&cmp[]=3096
(link won't work for some reason)
For the topic:
You can buy two AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X for one Intel Core i9-7960x

wow client split sound and graphics to separate threads, so it will use up to 3 cores/logical cores in total.
If it was added in tbc or wotlk, can't remember.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 04:36:05 pm by Deetee » Logged
View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2018, 06:07:33 pm »

In IsBoxer, you can set up different cpu strategies to even out the load on the cores/clients.

In HotKeyNet, you can also set cores to clients.

http://www.hotkeynet.com/ref/setaffinity.html

<Everest>
View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2018, 01:00:01 pm »

I kinda went for the setup in my first post, and I am pretty happy with it. Although the AMD processors would have been better for the boxing I went for the I7-8700k since I will not box forever and the I7 8700k is beast.

The 32GB ram is total overkill. Should have gone for 16gb. But who knows what happens in future...

It is funny to actually see an increase of use on my GPU now my CPU handles a shit load more. The I7-8700k handles 20 clients perfectly running at 100% cpu usage. My cores reach max temperatures of 50-60 degrees Celsius. The GPU runs at 70-80%.

I still experience a few problems though. It seems to have something to do with my internet connection. Especially when I am boxing in a raid with others and especially when fixing raid groups I get insane lag spikes which make me drop connection from time to time, completely disconnecting me from the internet too. I noticed I am using a CAT5e cable so I order a cat6 to see if 100Mhz to 250Mhz imrpoves anything.

In IsBoxer, you can set up different cpu strategies to even out the load on the cores/clients.

In HotKeyNet, you can also set cores to clients.

http://www.hotkeynet.com/ref/setaffinity.html

@Atreyyo: are you sure the background fps of WoW vanilla can be changed like this? You tipped me adding a line in the config.wtf file But it does not work. It seems vanilla WoW does not support maximizing fps. Making Windows smaller in the background seems to help.

Two questions:

1 I am currently at 200mbs/20mbs internet speed. Would increasing to 400mbs/40mbs help smoothing the boxing? Would a CAT6 UTP or better change anything?
2 Any way without ISboxer to lower CPU/GPU usage by lowering frame rate on the clients? I am 60+ now constantly.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2018, 01:22:06 pm »

I really doubt the problems are caused by having too less bandwidth in your local network or to the internet.
I've been running around in Badlands minutes ago and WoW used about ~600-1000 Bytes/s up and down combined. Given a conservative estimate I'd multiply by 20 for bossfights so we're at 20 KBps. Times 20 for all your clients is 400 KBps.
I guess having the server throttle you due to your shared IP address will cause troubles before anything else.
Would love to see some real-world numbers of your setup Smiley

Especially when I am boxing in a raid with others and especially when fixing raid groups I get insane lag spikes which make me drop connection from time to time, completely disconnecting me from the internet too.

What do you mean by that? Literally total internet access shutdown, dropping from teamspeak, youtube fails buffering, little sisters running screaming into your room etc?

Just out of curiosity: 20 WoW clients really max out your I7-8700k?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 01:32:17 pm by Pucchini » Logged

^Hi Chess, legit THC earned with the EPGP loot distribution system. Not by half-assed DKP with lootcounciled KT loot ;-)

Rogue CL of <Chaos>
chaosvg.shivtr.com
<Everest>
View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2018, 02:16:07 pm »

@Pucchini so you are saying using the same IP for all boxers can lead to issues aswell? Can you explain that?

With totally internet shutdown I mean my computer is unable to connect to the internet after the disconnect happens and I need to restart the computer.

The thing which is strange to me is that I have played 29 characters at the same time in Molten Core without any freezes and smooth as fuk and I have done full ZG in less than 1,5 hour and at the same time I can experience those issues with complete freeze and connection loss when playing 10 chars in a 40 man raid.

Regarding your question. Under my current settings the I7 8700k is at 100% when boxing 20 chars. Although at 29 chars there is No notable difference.

What do you mean by real-world Numbers of my setup?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2018, 03:08:04 pm »

when i boxed 5man frostmaul giant farm groups, sometimes each client would have a different latency, e.g 30ms, 200ms, 500ms, 1.5k and one client that completely lags out, some restarts fix that, but it's really weird, i dont have internet issues, running on a 100mbps fiber

Cheers to Nopesorry for the sig
View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2018, 06:10:21 pm »

@Pucchini so you are saying using the same IP for all boxers can lead to issues aswell? Can you explain that?

WoW Servers do have "command" throttling as a flooding protection, e.g. addons and chat messages are limited by a threshold of ~3000 commands per second.
The only thing I dunno is if that's per client/char, per IP, per machine etc.

What do you mean by real-world Numbers of my setup?
Bandwidth, Latency and Jitter, Packetdrop % would be interesting but nvm :-)

Rogue CL of <Chaos>
chaosvg.shivtr.com
Assistant Administrator
Hail Caesar
View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2018, 02:28:28 pm »

Lol guy asks what to buy for 40 clients, gets advised to buy a Ryzen 7 / Threadripper. Guy ignores advice, then, 3 pages later, makes proud forum posts of his 100% CPU utilization with 20 chars.

Why did I even try? Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 02:30:28 pm by Ergamemnon » Logged

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2018, 03:25:17 pm »

Nice to see u are taking care of the community erga, like rest of the staff
View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2018, 03:42:06 pm »

Lol guy asks what to buy for 40 clients, gets advised to buy a Ryzen 7 / Threadripper. Guy ignores advice, then, 3 pages later, makes proud forum posts of his 100% CPU utilization with 20 chars.

Reminds me about numerous bugreports.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2018, 04:22:25 pm »

Reminds me about numerous bugreports.

New core questions for a year LUL

Cheers to Nopesorry for the sig
View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2018, 09:28:22 pm »

you will need 64g of ram, a good SSD and at least 6 cores pref 8

the ryzen cpus look good on paper but will never be as good as intels

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: