December 09, 2019, 06:01:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
146947 Posts in 17844 Topics- by 32904 Members - Latest Member: DarkcorES
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rogue Glancing Blow explanation!  (Read 12644 times)
Tester
Lusse / Grooveshark
View Profile
« on: May 10, 2015, 01:53:33 am »

Glancing Blow - You can read the summary right away.

Glancing blows are combat events that can occur when fighting a mob of equal or higher level.
These occur only on white damage and result in the attack having its damage reduced in proportion to the difference between the attacker's weapon skill and the target's defense skill.
Glancing blows do not occur against players, only against mobs and can't become critical strikes.

Chance of getting a Glancing blow:
Players have a 10% + 2% per point of difference between Mob Defense Skill and Player Weapon Skill chance of landing a Glanging Blow. A Mob's Defense Skill is calculated throught the formula: Mob_Defense_Skill =(Mob_Level * 5). Putting this together we do get the following formula to calculate the chance of getting a Glancing blow: (10% + 2% * ( Mob_Defense_Skill - Weapon_Skill) Furthermore, Weapon_skill greater than the normal max for your level, (level * 5), does not reduce the chance for a glancing blow to land.

Glancing blow's Damage reduction:
The Damage reduction Glancing blow causes is calculated with almost the same formula as in previous paragraph but without the + 10%.
This gives us the formula: (2% * ( Mob_Defense_Skill - Weapon_Skill) In contrast to the formula for chance of getting a Glancing blow does Weapon_skill greater than the normal max for your level affect this formula.

Preventing Glancing blow:
Since Weapon_skill greater than the normal max for your level doesn't affect chances of getting Glancing Blows, there is no way to prevent Glancing Blows. They will always have the same % of occurring versus mobs. Meaning you will always end up having a 40% chance of getting a Glancing blow on raid bosses. What you can do is lower their damage reduction. This is done through Weapon Skill: By applying the formula from "Glancing blow's Damage reduction" with weapon_skill<300 we get a decreasing damage reduction. The outcome will end up giving a 3% less damage reduction per weapon_skill.

Glancing blow - In summary:
A LvL 60 rogue wielding his weapon with 300 in Weapon skill towards a Boss (LvL 63) will end up getting 40% of his white hits affected by Glancing Blow, reducing the damage with 30%. Effectively decreasing the damage of its white hits to 88% of the potential damage. These Glancing blows can't be prevented from occurring, but you can get rid of the damage reduction. Each point of weapon skill reduces the damage penalty by 3%, meaning a total of + 10 Weapon Skill is in order to negate the Glancing Blow Damage Reduction from raid Bosses.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 02:37:11 am »

Awesome info!!!

And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
"There is no spoon"
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 09:48:58 am »

Lusse big pleyer  <3

Tester
Lusse / Grooveshark
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 11:49:46 am »

I think Janitor gave me this info some time ago, just had to post it since it's good info.

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 03:20:58 pm »

So... I recently had this conversation with Sneaky and I'd like to know your thoughts. With having maces, it is impossible to max your weapon skill. The skill, Weapon Expertise grants a total of +5 weapon skill (+3/+2 per rank), to all weapons except for maces. With having a dagger OH, is it still worth dropping both points into expertise, or it it better to drop a point into imp eviscerate?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 09:36:07 am »

I'd go with
0/2 expertise
0/3 imp evisc
2/2 murder
3/3 ruthlessness
1/1 relentless strikes
5/5 lethality
1/3 imp poisons

https://i.imgur.com/0k94nIv.jpg
^Hi Chess, legit THC earned with the EPGP loot distribution system. Not by half-assed DKP with lootcounciled KT loot ;-)

Rogue CL of <Chaos>
chaosvg.shivtr.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 09:45:15 am »

Or just reroll human and get 310 maces skill  Tongue
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 05:09:40 am »

Pucc...

Considering I am Horde, do you think the extra % to add deadly poison from my OH is better than a static 5% bonus to Eviscerate?

Remember that I only run Deadly Poison OH, and nothing on my MH, so the added poison is almost trivial...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 09:07:38 am »

I might be wrong but I think rogues shouldn't use Deadly Poison on VG and in general anymore because of the debuff slot limit. Anyway I stick to Instant Poison and I remember some calculations that said that imp poison > imp evis.

https://i.imgur.com/0k94nIv.jpg
^Hi Chess, legit THC earned with the EPGP loot distribution system. Not by half-assed DKP with lootcounciled KT loot ;-)

Rogue CL of <Chaos>
chaosvg.shivtr.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 08:05:02 am »

Pucchini, once the debuff limit has been put in effect, you will be correct. Instant Poison does slightly less damage over extended fights than deadly poison. (Considerably less overall damage in fights where we have to dodge in and out of damage range.)

But once the debuff limit hits, both rupture and deadly poison will be phased out. Which is once again why I have been looking at that +5% bonus to eviscerate or picking up the last point into Weapon Expertise to ensure my OH dagger has +10 skill vs. +8.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 08:37:19 am »

It's wrong at one point: from damage reduction you cannot get rid of, you can just mitigate the damage reduction.

By the way, does this even work on VG?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: