August 17, 2022, 03:49:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
149011 Posts in 18133 Topics- by 34454 Members - Latest Member: pikashowapp
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking of starting here...  (Read 8100 times)
View Profile
« on: June 09, 2015, 09:11:40 pm »

I started not long after Open Beta ended, tried a few different classes and settled on a Nelf Hunter (Aimed Shot from Shadowmeld, because I was one of those ****ers :x) and ended up as a UD Rogue by the time BG's were really introduced... And basically stayed there until WotLK (played Druid/Warr, as well as Rogue).

Cata ruined things for me, I miss proper fights out in the open world, as well as the balance that Vanilla had - I could kill most people quickly, if I didn't, I was dead. I'd only be on for a few hours a night (UK), so raids aren't really an option, I'd only be playing to fight - How's the PvP element here? Can I gear up from PvP? Is it worth playing, or am I going to find it a big let down to what I remember in ye olde days?

Thanks!
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:54:17 pm »

Well it is a lot easier to get r14 here than on retail, so gearing up through pvp is possible. However, there are rarely any AB or AV games and sometimes WSG doesn't pop for 5-6 hours. Also many classes have bugged abilities that either work too well or don't work at all depending on the class in question.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 10:33:27 pm »

5-6 hours?! Bloody hell, I know I used to go do things between WSG's in the early days, but that's an insane wait time. Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Smiley
MCB
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 11:58:36 pm »

So, Kaylolz is speaking from an American player's POV and not accounting for the time zone in which you live. During UK evenings, there are almost always active battlegrounds. By active meaning at least 1 warsong gulch running. Arathi Basin and Alterac Valley tend to be rare occurrences however. Achieving rank 14 is possible, but with lets say 2 hours an evening as your definition of a few, gaining that rank is unlikely unless you play heavily on the weekend. That being said the overall system on VG is much more attainable then retail was.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 12:03:21 am by viile » Logged
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 12:17:15 am »

Viile is correct. This is mostly a European server. During peak hours there is always a WSG going.

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 12:20:39 am »

First off, welcome to VG. Now, VG is a PvP server so world PvP is around although because the server pop is lower than servers back in retail (I've recorded averages of 390-400 just before the peak), open world PvP is rather limited. However speaking as a UK time player myself there seems to be at least 1 WSG up and running at peak and a few pops off peak, rarer are ABs and AVs are very rare (again because of the population)

Now repeating the other posts, higher ranks are fairly easy to aquire even as a casual player. It is perfectly possible to aquire gear through PvP but it's encouraged that you run some dungeons (of course) first.

That's pretty much all I can say. Hope to see you online soon.
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 12:21:27 am »

I'd most likely play around 9pm-midnight, weekdays, hours change massively on weekends... I miss being young, free and single (when it comes to grinding on MMO's), alas times change. :p

Thanks for the info guys, may well have to give it a go - I made it to rank 11 on retail, in basic dungeon/PvP kit, I just miss PvP in general, making it to r14 would be nice, but far from essential.
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 12:37:16 am »

Hi Everyone!

I too am considering making a new toon on this server, but I have a couple questions first.

As a NA player, how are the usage rates during PST/EST time zones? Are there enough active guilds that raiding is a possibility? I've been reading other posts as well, and came across the name Equilibrium. Anyone know them?

How is the class balance on the server? Is it exactly like level 60 classic, or have changes been made? Does anyone have any class recommendations, or a thread I should take a look at?

Thank you!

Axiem
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 12:42:55 am »

Hi Everyone!

I too am considering making a new toon on this server, but I have a couple questions first.

As a NA player, how are the usage rates during PST/EST time zones? Are there enough active guilds that raiding is a possibility? I've been reading other posts as well, and came across the name Equilibrium. Anyone know them?

How is the class balance on the server? Is it exactly like level 60 classic, or have changes been made? Does anyone have any class recommendations, or a thread I should take a look at?

Thank you!

Axiem
The NA raiding scene is probably at its best these days. Horde has 1 NA guild(omega) and the Alliance has 2 raiding guilds(Equillibrium & REIGN)
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 12:47:18 am »

The NA raiding scene is probably at its best these days. Horde has 1 NA guild(omega) and the Alliance has 2 raiding guilds(Equillibrium & REIGN)

Glad to hear it!

As for class balance, and pointers or reading material you can refer me to? I've played all the classes on live up to 90 (including end-game pve and pvp) and don't really have a preference at this point.

Thanks!

Axiem
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 02:49:27 am »

Well you should always play the class you want to play, but just in case you never played/don't remember vanilla, with a few exceptions druids, pallies, shamans, and priests are expected to heal in a pve environment and it might be very hard to find a raid spot as one of those classes if you are not willing to spec resto/holy. It might also be hard to find a guild who needs rogues or furry warriors, as there are quite a few of those. (At least on Alliance)

In my opinion there is a huge shortage of competent hunters and warlocks on this server, so if you are looking for a spot to fill I would suggest one of those 2 classes.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 04:27:56 am »

As a NA player, how are the usage rates during PST/EST time zones? Are there enough active guilds that raiding is a possibility?

<Omega> is the only Horde raiding guild. Our raid schedule is
Sunday 6pm EST / 3pm PST
Monday 9pm EST / 6pm PST
Wednesday 9pm EST / 6pm PST

and we invite non-guildies to our ZG/AQ20 raids.

Feel free to whisper me in game if you or anyone else is interested in joining.

Now is a great time to join. We sometimes disenchant T2 because our current raiders already have it or have better.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 04:35:33 am »

Well you should always play the class you want to play, but just in case you never played/don't remember vanilla, with a few exceptions druids, pallies, shamans, and priests are expected to heal in a pve environment and it might be very hard to find a raid spot as one of those classes if you are not willing to spec resto/holy. It might also be hard to find a guild who needs rogues or furry warriors, as there are quite a few of those. (At least on Alliance)

In my opinion there is a huge shortage of competent hunters and warlocks on this server, so if you are looking for a spot to fill I would suggest one of those 2 classes.

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I rolled a hunter Smiley

<Omega> is the only Horde raiding guild. Our raid schedule is
Sunday 6pm EST / 3pm PST
Monday 9pm EST / 6pm PST
Wednesday 9pm EST / 6pm PST

and we invite non-guildies to our ZG/AQ20 raids.

Feel free to whisper me in game if you or anyone else is interested in joining.

Now is a great time to join. We sometimes disenchant T2 because our current raiders already have it or have better.

Sadly, I decided to go alliance, as I noticed there are two raiding guilds on Ali and only one on Horde. I did start a shaman, so maybe in the future you'll get a tell from me.

Thanks for the responses guys. See you in game.

Axiem
<Action Man>
View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 10:06:27 am »

It's very nice to see new players coming.

We're also doing fairly frequent PVP events with nice rewards, so be sure to check them out here if you haven't: http://vanillagaming.org/forum/index.php?topic=17496.0

Welcome to VG, and have fun!

I don't insult, I diagnose.
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 01:09:30 pm »

Lol yes, I can +1 on the hunter part. It's freaking impossible to recruit a decent hunter, as all of them already are in a guild at the moment Tongue Every single one that I've spoken to (when recruiting) seems to "perfectly" understand the concept of clipping auto attacks but none of them has SHunter Timers installed. On a server where the attack animation is glitched. Good stuff Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: