July 19, 2019, 01:38:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
146232 Posts in 17744 Topics- by 32043 Members - Latest Member: Fumigena96
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guide: Druid Tank (pre raid)  (Read 71657 times)
View Profile Email
« on: May 16, 2012, 01:46:21 pm »

First of this is meant for pre raid tanking. And maybe some in ZG and AQ20.
I will also only use pre raid gear suggestions.

1. Stats from most to least valuable

• Armor (AC):
    Dire Bearform will raise our Armor from items by 406%(including Thick Hide). That means, a Warden Staff for example will give us 1316 AC in Dire Bearform. So slightly higher Armor on leather items will result in an significant increase in AC for a Druid Tank. Especially Rings and Trinkets will raise our AC by allot. First you should aim for around 10k AC. After that you have to choose between AC/Stamina/Agility/Dodge. The higher you AC gets, the less valuable it becomes in terms of damage reduction. You will need more and more AC to get 1% of damage reduction.
  • Stamina:
    Get as much as possible, after you have your min of 10k AC. Druids get +20% Stamina in Dire Bearform (if skilled)
  • Agility:
    20 Agi will give us 1% dodge, 1% crit and some AC, but that will not scale in Dire Bearform. Dodge will prevent damage and crit helps us build aggro. Agi is the 3rd most valuable Stat.
  • Dodge:
    Dodge is damage reduction. So it is important and you should grab it if you can. But too much dodge can freak out your healers Wink. Because the damage you take will become very spiky and unpredictable. So this is only on 4th priority.
  • Defense:
    This is one of the most important stats for Warrior Tanks. But for Druids its very hard, to impossible to stack enough to get crit immune. So just get some if you can, it will reduce the crits you get, and give you some dodge too. But don't try to stack it. You will sacrifice too much of the other important stats. 
  • Strength:
    This will increase your attack power and thus your aggro gain.

2. Gear: for an in depth list look here

- Head: [Bone Ring Helm] (Scholo:Rattlegore)
- Neck: [Amulet of the Darkmoon] (1200 tickets)
- Shoulder: [Golden Mantle of the Dawn] (Leatherworking AD revered pattern)
- Back: [Cloak of Warding] (Tailoring pattern)
- Chest: [Warbear Harness] (Leatherworking TM Friendly pattern)
- Wrists: [Malefic Bracers] (Scholo:Trash)

- Hands: [Slaghide Gauntlets of the Monkey] (LBRS:Urok, random stats!)
- Waist: [Frostbite Girdle] (Scholo:Ras Frostwhisper)
- Legs: [Warstrife Leggings] (BRD:General Angerforge)
- Feet: [Dawn Treaders] (Leatherworking AD Honored pattern)
- Finger1: [Band of Resolution] (AD Quest:Superior Armaments of Battle)
- Finger2: [Naglering] (BRD:Golem Lord Argelmarch)
- Trinket1: [Mark of Tyranny] (Quest:General Drakkisath's Demise)
- Trinket2: [Smoking Heart of the Mountain] (Enchanting BoP, Formular drops in BRD:Lord Roccor)

- Weapon: [Warden Staff] (worlddrop)

3. Enchantments

• Head: 1% dodge (DM:Libram of Protection)
  • Shoulder: +5 to all resistances
  • Chest: +4 to all Stats
  • Back: +X resistance of your choice
  • Wrists: +9 Stamina
  • Hands: +15 Agility
  • Legs: +1% dodge (DM:Libram of Protection)
  • Feet: +7 Stamina
  • Weapon: +25 Agility

4. Abilities/Spells

• Maul:
    Maul is using the swing timer of your auto attack. Use it on every swing.
  • Swipe:
    Swipe will hit 3 targets in front of you. If you have more that one target swipe will generate more rage than it costs (I'm unsure if this is a bug, or if it was that way in retail too). So you want to spam it.
  • Fairy Fire:
    Use it to pull from range and to generate more aggro. I suggest to use it on cooldown.
  • Growl:
    This is our taunt. Use it only if you lost aggro to a DPS or healer and NOT at the beginning of the fight. The mechanic of this ability will give you the same aggro value as the current target of the mob and force it to attack you for 6sec. So at the beginning of the fight the mob has almost no aggro on its current target. A good use is: if a mage ninja pulls with a pyroblast you can get the mob off of him and get a good chunk of aggro in the process Smiley (not recommended)
  • Demoralizing Roar:
    Use it to lower enemies attack power. Useful when tanking huge groups of mobs. It will also generate some AoE aggro.
  • Feral Charge:
    Use it to initiate instead of a Ferie Fire pull, or to chase mobs down you lost aggro on.
  • Bash:
    This stun is useful when you are fighting a single mob. Allot of the bosses in 5er instances are stunnable. You can use it in emergencies to give your healer more time to react, to use inervate on your healer or to throw a quick healing pot and a Regrowth.
    Or just to stun a mob with low health you lost aggro on.
  • Omen of Clarity:
    This will give you a chance to get a clear cast on every hit and some spells. Since you will have no trouble with rage its not a must, but for cat form its nice if you have to DPS in raids.
  • Enrage:
    Use before every pull if its off cooldown.

5. Talents
I prefer the 11/33/7 build. It is a pure tanking build that is sacrificing allot of dmg potential from the cat form. But it has Improved Enrage and Furor for more instant rage before the pull. For absolute must have talents i would name:

• Feral Instinct
  • Thick Hide
  • Heart of the Wild
  • Sharpened Claws
  • Primal Fury

The Druid Tank is allot of fun to play in 5er instances, and it is allot easier to use than a Warrior Tank in terms of abilities and if you have to tank more than 2 mobs at the same time (which is true in almost all cases). But it is not easy to gear properly because there are very limited gear choices. Once a Warrior Tank gets into raiding he will be better suited for the job than we are. They are still the No. 1 Tanks for bossfights in raids, but it is nice to have a feral Off-Tank because he can be useful even if he is not tanking. So i recommend to always have a healing gear with you so you can help out if needed.

I'm looking forward to your comments, suggestions and critic. Especially for alternative talent specs.

Kamara Druid(Feral)
Jhoira Priest(holy)
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 03:09:35 pm »

Chen>all tanks.

In war,victory.In peace,vigilance.In death,sacrifice.
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 04:09:18 pm »

Cool guide mate. I'd rather pick Nature's grasp and imp Nature's grasp for instances and pvp than improved wrath though.
"We follow waves of sound from life to life"
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 01:03:09 pm »

YOU'RE THE BEST!!!Thanks for the help.
And btw,if you could P.m me your skype to help me do some more guide's it will be awesome:D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:05:39 pm by Anotherdayonforum » Logged

Tнe Bιrd oғ Herмeѕ ιѕ мy ɴαмe,eαтιɴɢ мy wιɴɢѕ тo мαĸe мe тαмe.
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 04:29:35 pm »

Cool guide mate. I'd rather pick Nature's grasp and imp Nature's grasp for instances and pvp than improved wrath though.
Thanks Woet, i use neither, no Wrath and no Nature's grasp. Mostly because i don't do much pvp and most instances are indoors. So its just for the mandatory first 5 points.

YOU'RE THE BEST!!!Thanks for the help.
And btw,if you could P.m me your skype to help me do some more guide's it will be awesome:D

Thanks, i sent you a pm.

Kamara Druid(Feral)
Jhoira Priest(holy)
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 12:30:28 pm »

You guys can still check this:)the gear here it's pretty easy to get it,and a awesome guide for you,feral only.

Doomking
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 11:50:59 pm »

Very nice guide!
And btw, i used to have Ring of Protection and Thrall's Resolve for a long time my self, they are much more superior than the ones mentioned in this guide!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:00:26 am by nikakuma » Logged
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 03:12:45 am »

Very nice guide!
And btw, i used to have Ring of Protection and Thrall's Resolve for a long time my self, they are much more superior than the ones mentioned in this guide!
I agree with you.. but what's up with bumping 2 y/o topics? D:

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 09:09:34 am »

cause it's still a good topic.

Doomking
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 09:50:21 am »

Very nice guide!
I agree with you.. but what's up with bumping 2 y/o topics? D:
Well, this is not ment to correct the poster of something, this is some additional info for the reader. And the Topic is awesome, right!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: