October 23, 2021, 10:47:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
148861 Posts in 18113 Topics- by 34222 Members - Latest Member: AndreiMugur
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Sarek: Tester App  (Read 17912 times)
Science Officer
View Profile Email
« on: January 05, 2014, 07:58:56 pm »

VG staff and community,  

I have enjoyed posting bug reports for many months during my time on this server, but I have recently concluded that my contribution is limited by my present access.  I really love playing on this server because it's the closest thing out there to going back to the golden days of retail.  However, as you know, it is still not 100% blizzlike and I have felt very lucky to have had a few opportunities to point out bugs and help bring it steadily closer to a true blizzlike experience.  I see that there is more that I could do to assist, but I need a little more information than can be gathered while playing on my character, Sarek.  

To the point, I would like to request "tester" status and access to the VG test realm.  I think that it would assist me in identifying bugs, making more accurate and detailed reports, and in brainstorming possible fixes.  I don't see any "tester" application template so I've simply modified the GM application while omitting those questions which are not applicable.

Q1. What is your main character's in-game name?

Sarek

Q2. What is your real name?  

Frank J. Fazzio

Q3. Where in the world are you located?

I presently live in New York City, New York, in the United States.

Q4. What time zone are you located in?

Eastern Time: GMT-5:00

Q5. How old are you?'

I have just turned 27.

Q6. Have you played Retail and if so, for how long?

I began playing retail in the early days, sometime a few months after the game was released.  When I joined, Molten Core was the only raid instance and the best preraid gear game out of stratholme and scholomance.  When I quit playing wow, they had just recently released naxxramas and I have memory of repeatedly wiping on Anub and Razuvious.

Q10. Tell us a little about yourself.

I'm a law student in New York.  I grew up in Boise, Idaho, and moved to the east coast for school and work.  I enjoy camping, hiking, fishing, and other outdoor sports.  I also enjoy gaming, and like many here, I'm keen on science fiction and fantasy.  My favorite science fiction series is Star Trek (the original series) and my favorite sci-fi book is Frank Herbert's Dune.

About my character:
Quote from: Sarek
In life, Sarek was a member of the Vulcan High Council and father to the legendary Federation science officer, Mr. Spock.  As with all Vulcans, Sarek spent his life dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge through sacrosanct adherence to the disciplines of logic and reason.  However, as he aged, Sarek developed Bendii Syndrome, an incurable and terminal Vulcan neurological degenerative illness that caused him lose control of his emotions – more and more frequently, his serene logic would suddenly give way to power[ful] infusions of uncontrollable rage.  Sinking deeper and deeper into the black abyss of his own madness, Sarek finally succumbed to his illness on Stardate 2368.9000, and died.

Three weeks ago, Sarek awakened in a dank sepulcher in the Tirisfal Glades.   Neither alive nor dead, Sarek was nevertheless enraged at the utter illogic of his present circumstances – why was he here, and how had his body been spirited away from the Enterprise-D and into the land of Azeroth?  Fascinating…

Yet while undeath had robbed Sarek of his vigorous Vulcan constitution, it had only strengthened his incipient Bendii Syndrome.   His green Vulcan blood, now blackened and putrefied, fueled the fires of his unbridled rage as it coursed through his necrotic veins.   Vowing never again to resist his own furious nature, he set out to explore Azeroth in the hopes of someday finding his way home to the Alpha Quadrant, but determined to slay any unfortunate soul foolish enough to tempt his wrath along the way.
(I wrote that on 3.21.2013 hehe)

Q11. Explain why you think you would be a good GM Tester.

Firstly, I have played retail vanilla extensively so I have firsthand experience with how things ought to be.  Secondly, as a law student I am trained in conducting research and poring over documents in order to find evidence; this is analogous to the fact-finding task of testers as they attempt to accurately identify valid bugs for fixing.  Finally, I have worked as an instructor on financial modeling in excel, so I have some experience working with basic algorithms and formulas.

Q12. What interests you most about the GM Tester position?

Well, the first reason is because I am interested in helping the server become more blizzlike, and because I think that doing so will improve my gameplay experience (in addition to everyone else's).  I also think that a more blizzlike server will attract more players, and a larger population would certainly improve everyone's experience.

However, I would be lying if i said I that there isn't an element of self-interest.  I tend to report a lot of priest bugs, because those are the bugs that I notice (I only play priest, no other classes).  I'd like to get all the bugs fixed on this server, but in particular I'd like to help the developers fix the bugs that i'd like fixed. =P  Here's an example of what I mean "Twin Emperors: Vek'nilash Immune to Holy": http://vanillagaming.org/forum/index.php?topic=12768.0

Q13. What positive additions could you (or do you already) make to the server/Community?

I have posted a number of bug reports that have been helpful during the past few months, below are a few.

"Global Spell Coefficients List": http://vanillagaming.org/forum/index.php?topic=13235.0
"Possible Fix for Low-Level Spell Coefficients": http://vanillagaming.org/forum/index.php?topic=13432.0
"HoTs Stacking": http://vanillagaming.org/forum/index.php?topic=13386.0
"Priest Bug: Inner Focus" : http://vanillagaming.org/forum/index.php?topic=11330.0
"Priest Bug: Holy Nova" : http://vanillagaming.org/forum/index.php?topic=11526.0
"Emperors - Bugs hostile & stronk" : http://vanillagaming.org/forum/index.php?topic=12489.0

Q14. We require all GM'sTesters to act professional[ly] at all times, this includes proper spelling and grammar.[We will not accept you if you have a lack of proper spelling and grammar]

As a native English speaker, I am confident that any bug report written by me will use proper spelling and grammar.

Q15. If you were going to submit a suggestion for us, what would it be?

I would suggest fixing the holiday weekend system for battlegrounds so that we would see more action in Arathi Basin and Alterac Valley.

Q16. Events can get out of control, how would you pull a situation under control if it went bad?

I would make a bug report!

Q17. What do you think is the most important thing a GM Tester can do?

Double-check his sources.  Making an erroneous "fix" is a horrible thing and that's what the developers and testers should be most concerned about when making bug reports and applying fixes.  I have been wrong before, and thankfully some folks were able to point it out to me. ("Holy Fire not responding to +fire" http://vanillagaming.org/forum/index.php?topic=13412.0)

Q18. Do you know WHAT a gm Tester does? Please explain.

I will enter the test server "sua sponte" to gather data on any potential bug reports I'm presently considering.  I will also respond to requests by the developers to test out a particular mechanic, or any other assignment I am tasked.

Q20. What can you do to help the server grow?

I think that the more bugs we fix and the closer we bring the server to a true blizzlike state, the greater shall be the server's reputation, and hence its population.  

Q21. Voluntary Disclosure:

I had a disagreement with Sins a few months back about system messages, but I hope he understands that the motivation for my indignation was an interest in a more blizzlike experience.

Additionally, I recently got a spanking for abusing the professions bug, but I'm not asking for any authority, just access to information - the test server.  I hope that this need not prevent me from assisting the developers in the future.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:31:11 am by Sarek » Logged

Assistant Administrator
Hail Caesar
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 08:30:26 pm »

good, need someone who prooves me wrong

Three letter name.
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 08:40:44 pm »

Worth giving him a chance , it was his dream to be something on VG. Wink

Play to learn or learn to play!
-Msk
<Distilled Wisdom>
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 09:09:20 pm »

Definately worth it.. although I feel he will make me slightly superfluous Tongue

Big +1 anyho.

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 09:15:56 pm »

Great guy, definitely worth having him as a tester
,+1
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 09:16:41 pm »

+1.
Unban blondy !!
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 09:17:54 pm »

+1 to sarek !!! GL

Ty lusse for the sig (:
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 10:40:41 pm »

+1, better informed and less arrogant than current testers Cheesy
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 11:21:07 pm »

+1, better informed and less arrogant than current testers Cheesy
Tester
Lusse / Grooveshark
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 11:39:53 pm »

A real "Tester" over here Smiley +1

MCB
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 11:50:44 pm »

AW YEAH +++++++++++++++++++++

Got so many bugs im ready to spam sarek with testing gonna be awesome!
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 12:42:29 am »

Friendly, mature and knowedgeable dude.
+1 from me too, you'll be a good addition.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 12:48:42 am by Chabalala » Logged
Master of Ridiculousness
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 04:03:51 am »

Are you originally from the United States? Just curious.
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 04:06:48 am »

Tell you what any person willing to help make this server better and bigger gets a +1 from me. GL wish u the best man.
Science Officer
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 04:39:18 am »

Are you originally from the United States? Just curious.
I grew up in Idaho, and moved to New York for school and work.  

Thanks for the comment, Ridiculus.  It's true, I'm from the United States!  If you haven't heard of Idaho, I don't blame you... you would be surised at how many Americans confuse Iowa and Idaho.  Idaho is one of the 50 states, and it's located in the mountain northwest.  Presently, I live in New York, and I am certain you've heard of that state!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 07:31:18 am by Sarek » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: