December 08, 2021, 05:24:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
148896 Posts in 18117 Topics- by 34257 Members - Latest Member: beatycare
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hebollus repost game master application!  (Read 4742 times)
View Profile
« on: July 19, 2013, 01:41:48 am »

Q1. What is your main character's in-game name?
Ovhell

Q2. What is your real name?
Andreas

Q3. Where in the world are you located? Sweden

Q4. What time zone are you located in?
GMT+1 at the summer time it's GMT+2

Q5. How old are you?

Q6. Have you played Retail and if so, for how long? I've been playing world of warcraft ever seens the alpha release off vanilla and I just stopped playing Pandaria a month ago.

Q7. What times exactly can you GM? (Be specific please : Days/Times etc)
Monday-Sunday 16:00-23:00 even more at weekends probably I usually play alot.

Q8. How much time each day do you spend on WoW, on the forums or in-game?
Hum say about 5 hours+

Q9. Have you had previous experience as a Game Master? And if so, on what server, and function?
Yes, I've been around on some different private servers over the years. My latest one was at https://www.wow-one.com.
It was a great vanilla server back in the days but latley they've lost some off the playerbase and I reasigned from being a gm 5-6 mounths ago. I've also been a game master on the realm http://shattered-wow.com. It's a 2.4.3 The burning crusade server that I handled for like a year or so along with it's creator Spenner. I've also had my hands in one off my brothers private server it didn't grow in population but I've been using the commands and system for along time so I know I'm up for the job. My real function? Probably resolving as many issues as I could for people having problems with npc not spawning as they should, or other buggs ingame. I also handeled some off the donation systems they used on their servers.

Q10. Tell us a little about yourself.
Well I'm 26 years old, currently unemployed but I'm looking for a job at this point "life isn't free" I do love the real world of warcraft and by that I mean vanilla. It was the game that touched me the most seeing all the new expansions and tweeks they've done to the game I've just wanted to go back and enjoy the game as I used to. I do also love some fps games out there like oldschool doom and such. I'm also a big music fan, I do play the drums myself in three different bands acutally but don't worry I still manage to get my hands around the keyboard. Don't really know much else to say except that we all seem to love the same game and share the same passion else we wouldn't be here so keep rock on and make it as a great experiance as we can.

Q11. Explain why you think you would be a good GM.
Well as I wrote earlier I've got years off experiance as a game master around different private servers so I've been able to catch up different positive experiances and some negative aswell so I think I can help out moving the server in the right way and keep a heads up for the misstakes I saw other moderators do to the other realms out there.

Q12. What interests you most about the GM position?
Well seens I do enjoy the game so much myself I would like to see the game bee as excellent as it can be. Keeping it flowing in the right directions and help people out that have various problems out there and make their game experiance as good as I would want it to be.

Q13. What positive additions could you (or do you already) make to the server/Community?
I'm a great guy "huhu" No to be honest I'm a easy going and calm person. I don't get stressed up having much to do. Or handling problems including for example two people going off each other ingame I believe I can solve it as good as possible and as mature as possible.

Q14. We require all GM's to act professional at all times, this includes proper spelling and grammar.[We will not accept you if you have a lack of proper spelling and grammar]
I don't think my English is all to bad? But I'm only human and still learning but I think I can handle the task at hand.

Q15. If you were going to submit a suggestion for us, what would it be?
A suggestion? Hmm well seens I haven't been able to catch something up yet I can't really have an opinion on how you guys should progress or tweek stuff around but if I just got into it I would probably bee able to give a shout out.

Q16. Events can get out of control, how would you pull a situation under control if it went bad?
Depends totally on the situation I think, if it gets all to much out off hand I would probably discuss it as quickly as possible with the other gm's/moderators online and see what they think, else just pull the event off and explain why it was pulled off and hopefully people would learn something from it.

Q17. What do you think is the most important thing a GM can do?
Well in my experiance and what I've seen people wanting from gm's is that they want fast replys on tickets they don't want to wait 24h+, work hard and dedicated to have the problems for people solved as quick as possible. And make people know that you listen to them and take suggestions into consideration and that you put it forward for the other staff members off the server. But the main fact still stands try to have as a good relationsship to the people playing on the realm as possible.

Never defend your actions
It's not uncommon for players to chat with their GMs about the game. It's also not uncommon for players to be a bit dissatisfied with part of a game. After all, you can't please everyone all of the time. However, when a player expresses concern about part of a game, listen to them and accept their opinions as valid.
Your players are your game. Without them, you'd be gamemastering for no one. Their opinions on the game are at least as valid as your own. You may disagree, but you can't discount their opinions. The game must remain a two way street. It's quite reasonable to want to explain why you made decisions the player may not like. Be careful to not cross the line from explaining to defending.
When you defend, you're encouraging the player to further challenge your ruling. This will just slow the game done. It causes the players to invest more emotions into the argument leaving them increasing frustrated if you don't rule as they hope.

Take responsibility
You are the GM, you create worlds. With that power comes great responsibility. If your players aren't enjoying your game, you are responsible. If you don't take responsibility, your players will leave. Like it or not, you're the leader. If you're unwilling to take this responsibility, you're on the wrong side of the GM screen.
Now, brief periods of unhappy players happen in every game. But, if most of the time most your players are unhappy, you need to change. (Mind you, this has nothing to do with making characters happy. It's possible for players to be happy and characters to be miserable.)
If you simply cannot give the players what they want (perhaps because you wouldn't enjoy it), then it's your responsibility to end the game. Players will often stay in a game they dislike because they like the people or out of a sense of responsibility. Free them to seek out games that they will enjoy more. If the group wants to continue hanging out, maybe you should look into something besides role-playing.
Part of this responsibility is realizing that you can't be all things to all people. Sometimes things aren't going to work out and you need to accept that. If you're determined to run gothic horror, but your players demand slapstick comedy, maybe you're not compatible as GM and players. Do look for a compromise, first! Are you sure you wouldn't enjoy running slapstick comedy? Maybe your players would be willing to give a session of gothic horror a try? If it doesn't work out, look at other options. Maybe it's time to turn over the GM screen to a player and join in as a player?
Sometimes the majority of a group works fine, but some of the players present problems. Perhaps the player hates the game or the genre, making it impossible for them to enjoy your sessions. Perhaps two players cannot stand each other. A player may simply be sullen at every session for no particular reason. A problem player tends to spread resentment through the group, places everyone on edge, and generally hampers enjoying yourselves. Whatever the reason, if a subset of your players are harming the game it's your responsibility to address the issue. It might be a minor problem that be sorted out; maybe it's time for a new character. But not every problem can be worked out. If you can't find a better solution, it's your responsibility to ask the problematic player to leave. Telling a friend that you don't want them in your group is very hard, but leaving a problematic player in your group is worse. This isn't about disliking someone, this is about the group as a whole not working.

Q18. Do you know WHAT a gm does? Please explain.
Well depends totally on what you expect from your game master staff. But if I get it right you want a dedicated person for the job that takes this position as serius as possible and not fool around with the power that's been given to you. Keep the realm flowing in a good state and make sure the people follow the rules put up for them and help the people off the game as possible.

Q19a. What will you do if a Player asked you for help?
I would ask what sort off problem he/she has. And depending on the answer keep going from there and keep a conversation with the person so he/she knows what's going on and if the problem can be solved or not.

Q19b. And when you don't have time to help him?
I would simply take time for it. If I know I have to pee but I can wait 5minutes for it and help another one out I would do so and I usually do so in any matter if something else can wait it can wait.

Q20. What can you do to help the server grow?
I have loads of in real life friends playing on different private servers and still plays retail. But I know we all love the same game vanilla, so I could probably try to have them joining with me and give vanillagaming a bigger arsenal off players. I also have a brother who's good at making some websites that we could put some advertisement on. And hopefully maybe get some old friends aswell from my lovley vanilla days that I still talk to get back and try it out whenever they've got time to play. I think that's about it take a good look at this and keep your mind open. Dear regards Hebollus!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 05:02:24 pm by ovhell » Logged
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 10:08:11 am »

The application seems very impressive the only concern I would have is I have never seen you in game, how long have you been playing on Vanillagaming?

"The girls they all have like monster titties" - Fuzzyhead 2014
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:47:26 am »

Req To become a Gamemaster on VGaming is the Following:

R1: I have been a member for 1 month or more.
R2: I am 18 years old or more.
R3: I can be online at least 3 hours a day.
R4: You must have any kind of facebook in order to join VG staff group for proper and thorough staff communication

If you dont meet up to these Req dont continue.

http://vanillagaming.org/forum/index.php?topic=375.0

nuf said.

Felicitas
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 07:19:40 pm »

A few things stuck out to me on this, Firstly I can't say i've say you on the server, secondly the uh " never defend your actions" paragraph is in there twice which leads me to believe it's copied and pasted in?

Plus the GM's on this server have normally been people who have been here a long time since the community here is "special" per say.

Just a few points, looks well written but that bit that looks copied and pasted put me off to be honest.

It's not uncommon for players to chat with their GMs about the game. It's also not uncommon for players to be a bit dissatisfied with part of a game. After all, you can't please everyone all of the time. However, when a player expresses concern about part of a game, listen to them and accept their opinions as valid.
Your players are your game. Without them, you'd be gamemastering for no one. Their opinions on the game are at least as valid as your own. You may disagree, but you can't discount their opinions. The game must remain a two way street. It's quite reasonable to want to explain why you made decisions the player may not like. Be careful to not cross the line from explaining to defending.
When you defend, you're encouraging the player to further challenge your ruling. This will just slow the game done. It causes the players to invest more emotions into the argument leaving them increasing frustrated if you don't rule as they hope.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:23:20 pm by Heinuos » Logged

Apparently my sig was too big.
WoW4Life
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 09:44:45 pm »

I'm with 3quarter on this one.

Tho' I gotta admit it is a well-written,nice app yo.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:53:55 pm by Zamorius » Logged
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 11:11:45 pm »

A few things stuck out to me on this, Firstly I can't say i've say you on the server, secondly the uh " never defend your actions" paragraph is in there twice which leads me to believe it's copied and pasted in?

Plus the GM's on this server have normally been people who have been here a long time since the community here is "special" per say.

Just a few points, looks well written but that bit that looks copied and pasted put me off to be honest.

He probably wrote it bit by bit in notepad then copyed and pasted it. not saying he did but he could have. btw check his forum posts, he applyed on may 24 2012 so id say hes playing here more than a month
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 05:02:05 pm »

Bumping the thread still interested.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: