October 17, 2017, 02:10:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
138107 Posts in 16643 Topics- by 27736 Members - Latest Member: ciajudgcar
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about colored chat messages  (Read 2176 times)
Renew
« on: March 04, 2015, 09:30:51 pm »

Hi GMs, atm im writing an addon, wich should be able to post colored text in a closed channel (erga know what im talking about) - NOT world chat -

a year ago i asked milkncookies about this and he told me its ok to use colored chat in this way...
now that i want to publish that addon, i need an official statement here in forum Smiley

greez
Renew
Sexiest Priest on VG
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 09:49:01 pm »

I am listening also :-)

Technically some of my addons are using colours too, although it is for local display only.

Renew
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 09:56:21 pm »

I am listening also :-)

Technically some of my addons are using colours too, although it is for local display only.

the colored chat in 99% of the addons is made by DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage and not visible for anyone outside your own chatframe...
i want to post outside this thou
Sexiest Priest on VG
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 10:56:30 pm »

Yes, I understand that, and thats why I am waiting for an answer too!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 11:48:34 pm »

The use of colored text is not permitted.  However, GameMasters are not watching private channels.  We monitor public channels only, such as World, Trade, General, etc.  In order for GameMasters to take action on private Chats, a player must first submit a report to us with evidence.

If you want to have private internal Chat within your guild that violates Chat rules (racism, sexism, colored text, etc), you are able to do this only to the extent that nobody seeing these private chats decides to report you.  But when GameMasters are shown Chat that violates Chat rules, the Chat rules will be enforced.
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 12:36:39 am »

so if i like use it in guild or raids that hosted by the guild i'm in,
and then one douchebag reports me or there is a GM in that raid playing on his normal toon he is allowed to ban you or wel maybe give you a warning about it?

to be honest i find it very usefull in raids to use sometimes.
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 12:43:38 pm »

The use of colored text is not permitted.  However, GameMasters are not watching private channels.  We monitor public channels only, such as World, Trade, General, etc.  In order for GameMasters to take action on private Chats, a player must first submit a report to us with evidence.

If you want to have private internal Chat within your guild that violates Chat rules (racism, sexism, colored text, etc), you are able to do this only to the extent that nobody seeing these private chats decides to report you.  But when GameMasters are shown Chat that violates Chat rules, the Chat rules will be enforced.

I think the game masters should save themselves some headaches here. Knives can be a weapon, but in a kitchen its a neccesary tool.
Colors in chat can be used as a great tool for raiding coordination. It is in my oppinion exaggerated to consider coloring in chat so offensive that it cannot be permitted -anywhere- and the game masters should not waste their time taking such reports seriously. The community owes them more than to waste their time on bullshit like that.

Coloring should -in my oppinion- be permitted in all private groups, whether that is guildchat, guild raids, or guild channels. If the "abuse" of coloring in chat becomes an issue inside the guildchat of a particular guild, then im sure the officers of that guild will have no problem dealing with the issue, and if they choose not to, then there is always the option to leave the guild. Game masters do not have to babysit the entire community.

Public channels such as /world /general /say /yell /battleground etc is another matter.

Tester
I stared into oblivion and found my own.
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 01:36:48 pm »

I think the game masters should save themselves some headaches here. Knives can be a weapon, but in a kitchen its a neccesary tool.
Colors in chat can be used as a great tool for raiding coordination. It is in my oppinion exaggerated to consider coloring in chat so offensive that it cannot be permitted -anywhere- and the game masters should not waste their time taking such reports seriously. The community owes them more than to waste their time on bullshit like that.

Coloring should -in my oppinion- be permitted in all private groups, whether that is guildchat, guild raids, or guild channels. If the "abuse" of coloring in chat becomes an issue inside the guildchat of a particular guild, then im sure the officers of that guild will have no problem dealing with the issue, and if they choose not to, then there is always the option to leave the guild. Game masters do not have to babysit the entire community.

Public channels such as /world /general /say /yell /battleground etc is another matter.
+1
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 02:50:29 pm »

wel said
+1
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 03:46:35 pm »

I don't want to go against what Cozmos said, but this is the reason why I gave a " thumbs up " in the first place when I was asked about it.
Renew
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 04:57:35 pm »

I don't want to go against what Cozmos said, but this is the reason why I gave a " thumbs up " in the first place when I was asked about it.

bump
is there any chance you can discuss about a rule change?
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 05:29:32 pm »

A quite easy workaround would be to implement a similar feature like lootlink. When you link the assignments in a channel, the ones using the addon will see the colors and the people without it wont.

[Chatcolor:ffffff] text [/Chatcolor]

I'm sure you know what I mean.

Tester
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 05:59:32 pm »

If I'm not wrong, Anaron's wow mod is using colored text, but if you don't have the addon you will receive the message in normal white.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: