August 14, 2022, 05:18:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
149011 Posts in 18133 Topics- by 34454 Members - Latest Member: pikashowapp
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Raiding Shadow Priest?  (Read 21675 times)
View Profile Email
« on: October 17, 2014, 07:36:11 am »

I was wondering if there were any of you out there? I know I didn't get to raid in vanilla as shadow until I got Vampiric Touch and warlock realized how great shadow weaving was. I was just curious as to if any of you were out there and what kind of dps you pull and if you have any manna issues.
Renew
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 09:58:21 am »

the highest dps i saw by a sp was 750dps on patchwerk...1-2 sps in the raid are fine and useful...for example for chtun ph2 silence, naxx MC, VT for maexxna and debuffs for patchwerk...
sp is def NOT a dps monster butgood raid supporter
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 10:25:36 am »

i see and what are the mages and locks doing on patchwerk?
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 10:33:06 am »

i see and what are the mages and locks doing on patchwerk?

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 10:40:43 am »

lol
<Distilled Wisdom>
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 10:50:09 am »

Haha Dvarg!

Mage and Lock dps depends on who it is playing the toon (much like any class to be honest) but they should be aiming for about 1100+ on Patchwerk if not more - easily doable. As renew said though, 750 is a reasonable output as a Shadow priest.

With regards to raid setup, ideally you don't want more than one SP per 40 man raid, as the utility they bring does not exponentially increase and in fact becomes more and more redundent the more you get. The biggest bonus they bring is shadow weaving as you rightly pointed out, and vampiric embrace is nice, Thaddius being a perfect example of this. However, from my personal experience (leading and farming all content VG has to offer for a long time) the drop in DPS from losing another damage dealer of equavalent gear and skill is not compensated for by having a second silence (which in reality is never needed) and second group healed from vampiric embrace.

If you want further advice regarding shadow priests - I would suggest you /w Fifteenlol/disorders/fifteenstep - excluding myself, the best shadow priest (in skill at least) this server has seen. Failing that you can also speak to Gavlopriest, the priest CL of De Profundis, he's pretty decent too.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:53:19 am by Lanori » Logged

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 11:04:51 am »

Thank you for that reply. I joined this server because I missed the connection and excitement I felt in vanilla. I chose to play a priest because that has been my main from vanilla all the way through heroic SoO. But I remember how Shadow was the weekend/pvp spec for priest and I always had to heal content and was miserable. I thought I might give it a try to play shadow again but I am a competitive person and the idea of my best being 500dps behind somebody else seems far less appealing to me now. I dont know I may give it a solid effort and see if I can stand it. Or I might level a lock or a mage.

I am still curious as to what the mana issues are like for shadowpriest and how they deal with them.

Also what seems to be a more desired class lock/mage?
<Distilled Wisdom>
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 11:22:40 am »

Regarding most desired - I think they are pretty close, with aq20 books being equally expensive. For an early geared shadow priest, mana is definitely the deciding factor for succeeding or failing. As you improve your gear, you will find mana becomes less of an issue with correct stat choices and consumable usage.

Just google "vanilla shadow priest guide",  there are plenty of them out there, many with excellent explanations on prioritising specific stats on your gear and which consumables you want to use. Also remember on VG (at least for now) many of the consumables that shouldn't stack, currently do. This means that mana pool and regen situation are not quite as dire as you would expect on an 100% accurate Blizzard server. That being said - it will not be like this for ever... the last I heard the development team (i.e. Ergamemnon) is actively working on implementing Blizz-like changes on this subject.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:25:39 am by Lanori » Logged

15step
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 11:22:29 am »

Shadow priest is uh, how to put it...

Gonna get significantly worse every live update that makes it blizzlike, as it's incredibly overpowered pve wise due to a large number of beneficial bugs. Things like spirit fix, properly sorted coefficients & the debuff slot limit will severely hinder your dps and ability to manage mana. Point of this is that the damage output is significantly higher on here than it should be.

It's also a frustrating class to play on vanillagaming: the range check on mind flay is just all around annoying & defeats the purpose as a snare in pvp, you'll also have to deal with shadowform being unusable frequently in VG due to it greying out. This can also happen in pve in situations where you need to pop out (if you're alliance and dwarf, you're in and out to fear ward on some encounters, you'll be in & out on twins as well on either side). Oh and don't forget about spirit tap! It doesn't work in pvp at all.

From someone who played it for a long time - you'll hit a wall where it's no longer fun, you want to play a real dps class, and you get sick of dealing with the bugs (bump the threads, they're a year old or more). With the fixes coming and considering you're new - I'd roll a warlock on ally or a mage on horde.

If you choose to play it, here's all the advice i can think of:
- 6% hit is to be capped, cap is not ultra important until higher end gear. You can do 750 dps while being 2% from hitcap to accommodate other necessary stats (on VG you need spell penetration for patchwerk/abom wing). For pre-raid gear, I'd recommend the bloodvine set, ban'thok sash, spellweaver's turban & rockfury bracers for hit gear.
- spell damage is priority #1, wear as little mp5 as possible to max out your spell damage. Aim to finish every boss fight at 0% mana, and swap gear accordingly.
- Critical strike is of very low value until extreme endgame gear - in most cases you have to give up too much spell power.
- Engineering provides a handful of dps increases. Goblin Sapper Charges & thorium grenades are highlights.
- At the start of a raid, trade every mage for water and get like 200 - drink whenever possible if you're not full mana. This means spam your water keybind every time you think combat might drop.
- Darkmoon card: blue dragon was at one point best in slot, it may be of less value to you with the upcoming changes. HOWEVER, it will always be amazing when you have the hakkar buff and a spirit of zanza.
- Silence is the best, figure out what raid mobs it does and does not work on. Well-timed silences can save your raid a lot of healing or annoyance.
- Vampiric embrace is useful in a lot of fights, but don't waste your GCDs on easy trash with it.
- Inner focus is for devouring plague if you're undead - unless the mob will die in < 20 seconds, then use it on mind blast. Of course, if you're paying attention you'll find other uses for it Wink
- You are a walking debuff for warlocks, don't forget that role (they should double your damage in most cases) 5/5 Shadowweaving on any target that's gonna last more than 20 seconds - do this before you dps. (r1 sw:p is great to stack it up). If you're oom, maintain the debuff - never let it drop. If you have to step out to heal, maintain the debuff. In many cases, it'll make sense for you to switch to the second tank mark with about 20% left on the first one to start stacking.
- On use trinkets are amazing for short fights and trash. Zandalarian Hero Charm and Talisman of Ephemeral Power are amazing, but I'd use passive trinkets for most bosses. Our main "cooldown" is three minutes long (as undead) and the trinkets don't play nice with that time - you'll get more benefit from briarwood reed in the long run, than from Talisman of Ephemeral power.
- Don't forget your role as a support class. Before you dps, you need to buff and properly debuff the boss. Playing your character 100% selfishly will increase your dps from 500->750, remembering to keep shadow weaving up should take 5 warlocks from 1k to 1150. In the endgame, the debuff you provide is worth as much as you.
- Spec improved fortitude, don't whine about it - you don't need the points anywhere else.

Here's how I'd spec for pve:
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#bxMhsZZxGguctot

In this your maximum damage out will be MB -> MF -> MF -> MB, refreshing sw:p every time it's up. Don't put more points into mind blast, as your cooldown will come up earlier than you need it on a full mind flay cast.

When mana gets tough, simply mind flay and keep pain up.
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 12:30:05 pm »

r1 sw:p is great to stack it up

maybe they fixed this but when i raided as a trispec with shadow weaving i used r1 mind flay and you could cancel it and not get a gcd and do it again basically getting 5/5 after about 1 second
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 11:33:26 pm »

thanks for that great reply.
15step
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 06:15:22 am »

r1 sw:p is great to stack it up

maybe they fixed this but when i raided as a trispec with shadow weaving i used r1 mind flay and you could cancel it and not get a gcd and do it again basically getting 5/5 after about 1 second

Abuse!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: